Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My Dad

It's been over 14 years since I lost my dad to cancer...he died before I could tell him that I was expecting my son Ramon. I named Ramon after my dad...Ramon is spanish for Raymond which was my dads name. I wish I had a photo of my dad to share. He was a good guy. He taught me how to fillet fish, he was known as the "fisherman". He loved fishing, boating, playing poker.

I remember one summer, we rented a cottage...my dad would be up and on the lake before anyone else got up and my brother Ernie and I took the row boat out to meet him...when we got there he told us this fish story about catching something...it put up such a fight, he knew it was a huge fish and just as he got it to the top of the water it let go of the hook...it was a pike, the biggest pike he's ever seen...my brother and I just rolled our eyes and was like..yeah okay dad whatever. I decided to climb into the boat with my dad and fish and my brother rowed back to the cottage. About 30 minutes later my dad got another big hit on his line and he fought this fish for a long time...he was getting it closer and closer to the boat and he yelled for me to get the net, I grabbed the net and stood ready and just as my dad got the fish to the top of the water, I leaned over to get it and there it was this HUGE pike...I couldn't believe it....just as I put the net in the water the fish let go of the hook..again. When we got back to the cottage my brother had told my dads story and when I tried to tell them that it was true and that it happened again, no one believed us...they kept asking how much money my dad had offered me to say that I saw it ...LOL

I miss him.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Such a wonderful memory Donna! Thanks for sharing. He sounds like a great man. Sorry for your loss.

Suzanne said...

Sorry for your loss Donna. It's so great that you have good memories of your dad, thanks for sharing!